Yield 4 cups
- 1 ½ cups cashews, unsalted
- 3 c water
- 1 T cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ T onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 T grapeseed oil
- 3 cups mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1 T tamari or nama shoyu
- 1 T chopped sage
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- On high speed in a blender, mix the cashews and water until very well incorporated.
- Add the cornstarch, garlic, nutritional yeast, onion powder, salt, and pepper and blend on high for another 15-20 seconds. The mixture should be fairly thin but coat your finger.
- Set the gravy aside for a moment.
- Heat the oil over medium heat and add the chopped mushrooms.
- Cook for a minute or two, then add the Worcestershire sauce.
- Sauté the mushrooms for 3-5 minutes, until they are soft and the liquid is absorbed.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and pour the gravy mixture over the mushrooms.
- Add the herbs and gently combine.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring often. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Adjust the seasonings as desired and serve over mashed potatoes or biscuits.
Recipe by Eat Like a Yogi at http://eatlikeayogi.com/mushroom-gravy/